Black Friday crash

I had no intention of “doing” Black Friday, but Target called my name. The Minneapolis-based chain advertised the 16 GB iPad with retina display for $499, plus a $60 gift card with purchase. The tablet has been at the top of my family’s Christmas list for a few months now.

So on Thursday, after I dropped off our Thanksgiving dinner guest, I drove by Target. It was scheduled to open at 9 p.m., but the line was already about 800 people deep at 8:30. I went home, but later learned that when the doors opened, there were about 950 anxious shoppers waiting.  They rushed in to snag this year’s early bird specials on cameras, TVs, toys and yes, iPads.

Even though I went home after my initial Target drive-by, I woke up at 3 a.m. and was inspired to give the iPad another shot. I drove down and there were no lines. Instead, I found an army of pleasant “red shirts” at the front lines of their registers, awaiting shoppers who were ready to cash in on the earlier than regular Black Friday.

This Target employee didn’t even flinch when I asked him if I could take a picture of him ringing up my iPad. So many good-spirited employees working the Black Friday rush.

There were a few iPad 2s remaining, some of the 32 GB retina display versions and one last, beautiful iPad waiting just for me! I bought it, relishing the good deal I acquired without battling crowds. Merry Christmas to me—and the rest of my family!

My mission may have been accomplished, but instead of going home, I moved on. Kohl’s was just across the street. Parkway Place Mall was open, too, and then there was Wal-Mart.

But what about that Garmin I’d had my eye on at Dick’s? Okay… but first, let me browse the toy section at Target one last time.

Even though we heard the retail rumblings surrounding this year’s early store openings, the majority of associates I encountered were absolutely delightful. Black Friday spilled into Thursday and everyone seemed to make the best of it.

I finally got back home at 7 a.m. and couldn’t believe how long I’d been gone. But I didn’t slow down. I cleaned, did laundry and took Zoey for a walk to burn some of the excessive calories I consumed the day before.

As Zoey and I raced down Bailey Cove, one of my husband’s colleagues drove by me.

The guy called my husband. “David,” he said. “Your wife needs some valium. Black Friday shopping at 3 a.m. and now she’s out there exercising?”

I don’t need valium. Fourteen hours after my Black Friday adventure began, mother nature has given me her own “downer.” I have officially crashed. My body and mind have shut down. I am ready to go down and stay down, hopefully until after the sun rises Saturday.

But what a Black Friday to remember:
I shopped. I conquered. I crashed. Something tells me I am not alone!

About minndixiemom

I'm a Minnesota native with an Alabama heart, reflecting on the past while looking toward the future. My husband, David, and I landed in Huntsville in the late 90s through my former career in TV news. We have two amazing girls, Serina and Sophia, whom we are raising with God's guidance and grace. Besides faith and family, my passions include writing, walking, recovery, and the outdoors. By day I'm the Director of Development for WellStone, Inc., North Alabama's largest and most comprehensive mental healthcare provider.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s